Tuesday, November 1, 2011

DJ Kaos - Rainbow Playground (1994)


I need to admit something: I've been holding back on posting this one. This tape is where it began for me, and it's very special, but the tape is about to completely disintegrate.

While a sophomore in high school I was dragged by new friends out to a Friday night No Doz party at the Trocadero (all ages to get in) and danced relentlessly like I was a Club MTV veteran, immediately immersed in the tribal house sounds of DJ's Tripp and Dozia. This led to ventures to The Casbah (eventually to become The 5 Spot - RIP!) and its Saturday all night (also all ages) Rainbow Playground nights. It was here I lost myself to the sounds of the true real deal original Philly jungle/breakbeat/drum n bass DJ's Kaos and Karl K. I will always have massive respect to these dudes - these kids, as they/we were - and for what they brought to this city and to my, and many others ears. It was like nothing I had ever heard before, and it changed me.

I don't recall if this tape actually came directly from the club night itself or we just re-coined it after the night as it was the soundtrack to that spring/summer of 1994 before the night closed down and places like Flight at the Troc, Yoman at Nile, and Nu World at Fever all popped up. We referred to this music at the time as 'breakbeat techno', there was no such thing as 'jungle' or 'drum and bass' in our vocabulary at that point.

What you get here is basically 25 minutes or so of classic, epic jungle mixed seamlessly. Interestingly enough, I recently acquired a grip of the actual records played here, as Chris (Kaos) was selling a bulk of his collection due to a long distance move. Shame he had to give up such gems, but I couldn't be more stoked to have been the one to swoop in and scoop them up. They certainly have a good home here. :) Enjoy the mix. And yes, if you were wondering - that is Elgin Lee Baker on that flyer. :)


> > > Direct Download < < <

10 comments:

  1. OMG, I remember dancing around, to" give it up", shoot I forgot who it was that made that track.. with this crazy hat I bought from south street when that hell of an avenue now, use to be cool.
    I'm sixteen again crazy! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rainbow Playground was my first Philly club. It was AWESOME.
    Only made it there a couple times but it defo helped to lay the groundwork for my love of this music.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Priceless. Thank you very much for this. These old rips are highly appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  4. link down! pls reup. thx!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That above download link is dead. Here is a different
    one:

    http://www.divshare.com/download/16087651-8d8

    I have video of Rainbow but need permission to post.
    In many years of raving nothing came close to that experience. I always wandered what happened to Tony the beverage techncian? Went to a Delta party one night at Fort Mifflin with him, never seen him again hope hes well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG... I loved Rainbow... smart bar... random candy on the floor.. the even more random pinball machines and a small ass side street to lead you in.... that place holds a piece of my heart. Thanks for the links.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i went there every weekend during my high school years, lol. i even entered a contest they had.. it was so long ago, i forget for what.. but i recall winning free entry! Love that place.. that was my intro. into Techno/Rave Scene :)

    Big up to the bartender who made those funky, energetci drinks.. you know what.. everyone who went there to make it a fun atmosphere!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you know what.. the picture in that poster looks kind of like me.. i wonder if that was me? they were taking pictures for the contest.. and that looks like a polyster suite i bought at the thrift store ...

      Delete
  8. Rainbow Playground was the only place for an underage kid like me to dance and let loose and explore before the scene started getting dangerous and weird and shallow. That place had soul and I will forever be grateful for it.

    ReplyDelete